Monday, December 28, 2009

Not to be trifled with


May I share with you my failsafe Christmas recipe for tinned trifle? It probably has the highest ratio of deliciousness to trouble of any festive dish.

Open a pack of trifle sponges and put half of them in the bottom of a glass dish. Open a tin of rasperries and pour them over the top. Slosh over some sherry or port if you've got some knocking around. Put the other half of the sponges on top of that. Open a tin of summer fruits and pour them over. Slosh on some more booze. Open a tin of Ambrosia custard and pour that over everything. Whip half a pint of cream and dollop that on the top with a spoon. Sprinkle with silver balls. Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours. Serve to impressed guests.

3 comments:

Simon said...

that does remind me - I haven't made my famous wholemeal vegan trifle for a while... ;-)

Simon (nb Tortoise)

S said...

vegan trifle = fruit salad?

Simon said...

oooh, I can do better than that - basic vegan sponge, fruit over that, veggie jelly (agar rather than gelatine based), then blancmange (made with soya milk) and whatever else I choose to add - often sliced banana.

Anyway, happy new blog, looking forward to reading your progress with Chertsey, and looking forward to seeing more of the cabin (and good luck with finding a boatman's stove - they're lovely).