Friday, July 18, 2008

Fallen off again?

It has come to my attention that Warrior no longer appears on Granny Buttons' 'boatroll'; neither, if I remember rightly, does Water Spaniel, for one. This happened a while back, and the reason turned out to be that the list was set to accommodate only fifty names, and as new ones were added, those near the end of the alphabet dropped off the bottom. I suspect that that Andrew then expanded the list to a hundred - never thinking there would ever be so many. But I counted just now and made it ninety nine, which probably means that it is a hundred, given that maths isn't my strongest suit. So, will Andrew just expand again, or will he exert some sort of quality (or quantity?) control and weed the list?

While on the subject I recently weeded my links list a bit. I removed PolPhil Pete on the grounds that he hasn't posted since March, and the world is thus still woefully underinformed about What Would Hobbes Do?; and I removed Save Our Waterways - now it's become a membership group it's hard to see its particular raison d'etre. I've added the Photobucket albums alongside the Webshots ones, and will be using Photobucket from now on, I think - if only because it makes it SO easy to embed a photo in a CWF post.

When I say 'I', obviously I mean I got Sebastian to do it. He tried to show me how, again, but I resolutely looked the other way and stuck my fingers in my ears. I also wanted him to put in a masthead, with a nice photo of painted Warrior but that has so far defeated him. Note to self - ask someone who has a photo masthead in blogger how they did it. I also have a slogan, courtesy of Richard Fairhurst. He says that he sees this blog as being characterised by a 'traditional slant on modern boating'. I like that, and will incorporate it at the top of the page just as soon as someone tells me how.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Photo 'masthead'.... now... if I can remember how I did it! mmmmm......

Steve said...

Sarah.
Try this: Log in to blog. Top right of page, click on "Customise". In the box below the 'navbar' is the 'Header' box. Click on "edit". A pop up should open. Up load your photo as per usual. Click on "save" Job done. I doctored my photo and put a title on the photograph before I uploaded it. I then selected "instead of title and description" option. And if I can do it.. so can you ;-)

Adam said...

The difficult thing isn't getting the photo in the masthead, it's making it look right. I cropped a photo so it was long and thin before I uploaded it, but I think I also had to make it smaller, or it stuck out at one side. This blogger stuff isn't as straight forward as they make out!

S said...

Ah yes, I see... But I also discover that to do this I would have to upgrade my template. Now when I set up the Newhaven Town blog the new templates (now called layouts) had come into use, and THERE ISN'T ONE EXACTLY LIKE THIS. So do I take the plunge and change over to the new equivalent, which I don't like so much, or do I remain pictureless?

S said...

Oh nice one Andrew! He's wangled me to the top of the list. Sorry Takey-Tezey, who were the next to drop off the bottom.