Thursday, March 08, 2007

Not paying out enough in subs

Having decided not to cough up for the Working Boats Project I obviously needed some other waterways-related cause to shell out twenty-plus quid on, so I've finally got around to joining the IWA. With all due apologies to the Kent and East Sussex Waterways Recovery Group (cos they do fantastic food at the festival) I've sent off the application from my work address, so if there's any getting stuck in to be done, it'll be in London. In fact my main motivation for joining was that I really want to learn more about London's waterways and it seemed a good way to meet people who can assist me in that aim. I'm so spatially challenged that I really can't relate maps and books and pictures to reality; I need to see first hand for myself. And the reason I want to find out, with some degree of urgency, is that the bloody Olympics are going to change things, irreversibly - for better or for worse remains to be seen, but I won't be putting any money on better.

I have already persuaded Jim that next year (i.e. 2008) we should bring Warrior to London and nose about. Provided we can find temporary moorings along the way (and I imagine that might be difficult) we could spend ages mooching about and going home between times. That would also give us the opportunity to 'do' what for me is the big one - the main section of the Grand Union - in one fell swoop, which is how I really want to do it, not in odd little bits of other journeys. I don't know, haven't even started this year's cruising yet, and already getting all excited about next year.

No comments: